Thursday 14 September 2017

Catching up with FOG Posts

I must confess I have had a lot going on in my life through all of 2016 and the most of 2017 and have not been posting at all. We have continued to meet on our FOG Tuesdays throughout that time and I have diligently taken and edited pictures, but I have not headed down to the computer to do a posting. I hope that for the remainder of 2017 and into 2018 I will keep up with our current projects and might even get some of the old posts done as we did some very neat things throughout the year.

In June 2017, one of our members, a very talented artist in her own right, gave us a lesson on Abstract Art. This was quite  departure for all of us and I must say that it was a learning curve for me. Mostly having done quilting, fibre arts and mixed media pieces over the past many years, abstract painting left me wide eyed like a deer in the headlights.

I did learn that it was not best to scrimp with the paint and that abstract art can be a work in progress allowing layers to dry before adding new ones so you might want to work on more than one project at a time. Choice of tools can enhance your efforts and are certainly not limited to brushes. We had credit cards for scrapers, modified brushes, hand made stamps, drywall tape to name just a few.

My efforts on one of the two pieces I started are show below. I have yet to compete either one.

Left, first effort, scrimping on paint.Right, new layers, more paint, more interest.

I walk each morning around the hood and always have my phone with me so I can take photos of interesting things I see. About a week ago I was on my walk and came across this table on the edge of a lawn and could not resist a photo.

Abstract Art as its best.

I marvelled at the artist, most certainly a young child, able to produce this perfect mess that could most certainly be hung in any gallery and there was likely no adult intervention in the process, just a childlike joie de vivre while messing about with some paint.

I wish as adults we could capture some of that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment