Well, this is our final Principle of Design in our series of Elements and Principles of Design. We've enjoyed the time spent on these collages over the past months and have learned a lot about design in the process. The Principle was Depth and Space.
Unless we work in 3 dimensions, work on a canvas is only 2 dimensional. We can only convey space and depth with visual cues.
There are a number of ways that you can do this incorporating many of the Element and Principles of Design that we have done over the past months.
|Warm Up Collage|
Design Principle - Depth and Space
The most common ways are:
· Overlapping objects to suggest depth.
· Creating shadows.
· Size of your subject matter, sometimes in conjunction with a known object.
· Colour can suggest depth, where warm colours appear to advance and cool colours recede.
· Depth of field. If your object is out of focus it seems that it is further away.
· Where an object is on your page or canvas. Towards the bottom they will appear larger and smaller towards the top.
· Use perspective to indicate depth or distance.
Stay tuned in 2015 to a new series of warm up exercises that we will be working on during FOG Tuesdays.
Post a Comment